ABOUT YERBA BUENA CENTER FOR THE ARTS
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is one of the nation’s most innovative arts institutions. Founded in 1993 as the cultural anchor of San Francisco’s Yerba Buena Gardens development, YBCA’s work spans the realms of contemporary art, civic engagement, and public life. By using culture as an instrument for social change, YBCA is reimagining the role an arts institution can play in the community it serves.
Each year, more than half a million people participate in programs at YBCA’s downtown campus and throughout the community. YBCA’s curators and artist-collaborators present hundreds of programs annually, making YBCA a hub of creative energy throughout the year.
ABOUT THE CHIEF OF MARKETING OPPORTUNITY
YBCA is looking for a strategic Marketing leader to join its executive leadership team. This is an opportunity to make a significant impact at a leading edge arts institution and to do some of the most meaningful work of your career. The Chief of Marketing stewards both the Marketing and Visitor Experience departments, works to advance the YBCA brand across all facets of the organization, and partners with C-suite peers to develop and execute field-leading initiatives.
The ideal candidate believes in the power of art to propel social change and has a successful track record in marketing, brand management, communications and is a forward-looking and strategic thinker. YBCA is searching for someone who has a deep commitment to the mission and understands the role YBCA plays in the local arts ecosystem and in creating a more inclusive and equitable society. In particular, this role requires:
- World-class marketing and storytelling experience:
- This position requires demonstrated success in marketing, brand management, communications, and storytelling. You understand that marketing is about creating meaningful connections to drive participation and action, and a catalytic approach will accelerate the impact of YBCA’s work by broadening and deepening the understanding of the organization’s values, programs and impact. You understand what is needed to strengthen current audience participation and to drive development of new audiences across all of YBCA’s programs.
- A proven capacity to develop, refine and transmit YBCA’s message to key stakeholders:
- As a multifaceted, multidisciplinary institution, the ideal candidate needs to be skilled in taking a rich, complex message and boiling it down to its essence.
- Strategic thinking combined with a solutions-mindset:
- The role calls for a highly strategic thinker who understands how our programs are creating community impact and can empower YBCA to share this story in more exciting and visceral ways.
- A deep commitment to YBCA’s mission: We generate culture that moves people.
- YBCA believes that culture is an essential catalyst for change. Therefore, it’s the responsibility of arts institutions to spur and support societal movement. Our mission is fulfilled through five key platforms:
- The presentation of leading edge contemporary art
- The incubation of game changing creative ideas
- A commitment to inquiry, and asking the urgent questions of our time
- Convenings that bridge people, communities, and sectors
- Civic coalitions that create lasting change and policy shift
- An affinity towards the organizational values:
- YBCA is looking for a leader that aligns with our values. These values are the commitments at the core of who YBCA is and who we strive to be. YBCA’s values are:
- Abundance: We operate from a place of strength, with a spirit of empathy and generosity.
- Authentic Collaboration: We are engaged and interconnected.
- Personal Agency: We are empowered and accountable.
- Boldness: We create with courage and purpose.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, this role is responsible to:
- Be the driving force that helps YBCA fulfill its brand promise across all facets of the organization
- Ensure YBCA’s desired experience is delivered to all guests at all times
- Steward all communications across paid, owned, and earned channels
- Work cross-functionally to grow YBCA’s audiences, membership community, and donor base
- Bring best-in-class thinking to the organization in order to help YBCA take calculated risks and push boundaries
- Implement marketing strategies and tactics that will help YBCA achieve its strategic priorities
- Use data to transform how YBCA understands and engages its target audiences, visitors, and members
- Increase YBCA’s national and global visibility through strategic alliances, speaking opportunities, and publicity efforts
- Effectively manage and mentor a large team of direct reports
DESIRED QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Creative, forward-looking leader with an innovative mindset
- College degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communication, or related field
- 8+ years of Marketing experience at a large B2C company or nonprofit organization, with 2+ years in a senior leadership role such as Director of Marketing, VP of Marketing, or CMO
- Exceptional writing and communications skills
- Proven track record as an organizational change agent and influencer
- Experience working with complex and highly-matrixed organizations
- Ability to collaborate, lead, and inspire large, cross-functional, culturally diverse teams
- Deep command and demonstrable success with brand strategy and a commitment to delivering exceptional brand experiences
- Strong interest in the realms of contemporary art, civic engagement, and social responsibility
- Fluent in all media, including leading and emerging digital platforms
Benefits include PTO, Holiday Pay, Paid Time for Volunteer Work, Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, Voluntary Life and AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Travel Assistance, and ability to participate in the 403(b) Retirement Plan.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is committed to diversity in its programming and in creating a work culture and environment that is reflective of San Francisco Bay Area demography. YBCA encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation. YBCA will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please do not contact the YBCA directly. Schaffer&Combs has been retained by YBCA to manage this search. Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, solves problems and provides growth solutions for purpose-driven organizations. For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.