SENIOR DEVELOPMENT OFFICER | ROCKY MOUNTAIN INSTITUTE
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Rocky Mountain Institute seeks an accomplished development professional to represent and generate philanthropic support for RMI priorities from major donors and prospects, with a primary focus on California. The Senior Development Officer will be a key contributor to a high-performing development team and play an essential role in the achievement of the organization’s fundraising goals.
- Advance individual and organizational relationships that result in large philanthropic contributions for Rocky Mountain Institute through personal visits, email correspondence, and telephone conversations with prospects and donors.
- Identify, qualify, solicit and steward a portfolio of approximately 100 – 150 new and existing prospects (individuals, and foundations) with capacity to make gifts (from $5,000 to $1,000,000 and more).
- Provide high quality experience for donors in their foundation, individual and legacy giving.
- Qualify prospects and develop strategies designed to realize the current and lifetime giving potential of individual and foundation prospects.
- Work with the development team to create compelling proposals, cultivate new prospects, and steward existing donors.
- Use Salesforce database to document moves management process and provide accurate relationship status and financial projections for portfolio.
- Work collaboratively with the program team to gain a comprehensive understanding of RMI’s work and build strong working relationships with program leaders. Develop solid pipelines of funding for programs and initiatives.
- Translate highly technical information into accessible written and verbal language that will compel donors to support key programs and projects.
- Represent RMI at events in order to expand the organization’s network and cultivate donors.
- Support the development team in preparing communications and materials, designing meeting content, and coordinating activities with program colleagues.
- Serve as an active member of the development team; support the implementation of the development team’s short- and long-term objectives; engage with the development team by attending staff meetings, serving on special task forces, participating in development program meetings, and understanding and contributing to RMI development strategy and overall mission.
- A minimum of 5 years’ front line development experience in a leadership capacity, preferably in a policy, technology, higher education, or similar environment
- Knowledge of contemporary philanthropic landscape and trends, and of relevant fund raising strategies and techniques
- A credible and enthusiastic advocate for RMI’s mission and objectives as demonstrated through personal or professional experience with one or more relevant sectors or issues
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; polished presentation
- Ability to travel up to 50 per cent of the time
- Planned giving and international experience desired but not required.
- For-profit experience also desirable. Candidates with highly relevant for-profit sector backgrounds and fewer years’ development experience may be considered.
COMPENSATION AND TERMS
Rocky Mountain Institute will provide a competitive non-profit compensation package for the successful candidate, including medical, dental and vision insurance, employer matched 403(b)
retirement plan, and generous vacation provision.
The Senior Development Officer position will be located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
HOW TO APPLY
Rocky Mountain Institute has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high priority search. In order to apply, please submit a resume and cover letter that outlines how your skills and qualifications meet the requirements of the position.
Please refrain from contacting Rocky Mountain Institute directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at RMI@schaffercombs.com.
ABOUT THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN INSTITUTE
Rocky Mountain Institute seeks to transform global energy use to create a clean, prosperous and secure low-carbon future for all. Through programs in Transportation, Electricity, Buildings and Finance, RMI conducts research and convenes stakeholders to mobilize ‘natural capital’ in support of this vision.
RMI is a $42M US-based non-profit 501(c)3 organization with US offices in New York, NY; Washington, DC; and Boulder and Basalt Colorado. RMI maintains one international office in Beijing, China.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Schaffer&Combs solves problems and provides growth solutions for mission-driven organizations.