ABOUT THE JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER OF THE EAST BAY
The Jewish Community Center of the East Bay (JCC East Bay) is dedicated to creating healthy communities inspired by Jewish values, culture, and tradition. The JCC East Bay has an annual operating budget of over $5M and has grown to serve over 10,000 people each year in Oakland, Berkeley, and neighboring cities. The JCC East Bay’s intergenerational programming and services are as diverse as their population, celebrating people of all ages, backgrounds, and types of religion. The organization is home to an award-winning, fully enrolled preschool, highly regarded afterschool programming, summer camps for a variety of ages and interests, civic engagement events, and art and music performances. The JCC East Bay also provides vibrant events and programs exploring Jewish culture and traditions, fostering learning, inspiring engagement, and building relationships among community members. Learn more about the JCC East Bay’s mission, values, and vision here.
As the definition of community and the needs of the JCC East Bay’s local population continue to evolve, the organization is thoughtfully reflecting upon its role as a gathering place for not only the Jewish community, but also for the broader community throughout the region.
Steered by a passionate and engaged Board of Directors, and a seasoned senior leadership team, the JCC East Bay has embarked on a comprehensive effort to create an additional, centrally located campus to serve its evolving community. Today, the organization is in search of its next Chief Executive Officer to bring to life this new chapter of development and engagement.
ABOUT THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OPPORTUNITY
The incoming Chief Executive Officer will be both a compelling, inspirational leader and a skilled manager. S/he will be animated by an authentic passion for the JCC East Bay’s mission, and will be equally devoted to the children in the preschool program and the largest donors to the real estate development campaign.
In order to lead this complex, vibrant organization, the new CEO will need to be adept at both strategy and execution, as well as people and program management. Guided by the JCC East Bay’s strategic plan and expansion plan, s/he will also be required to lead the most significant fundraising campaign in the history of the organization.
In creating strategy and managing growth, the CEO will also embody the core values of the JCC East Bay, and will build strong relationships based upon these values with stakeholders ranging from high net worth donors, to participants in the JCC East Bay’s program offerings, to local neighbors and partners.
More specifically, the Chief Executive Officer’s primary responsibilities will include:
Strategy and Organizational Development
- Manage diverse stakeholder input to determine the optimal strategic direction for the JCC East Bay’s next phase of growth and impact; ultimately delivering a clear, broadly supported pathway to financial sustainability and long term community impact, in line with the JCC East Bay’s strategic vision.
- Oversee and manage implementation of the newly created strategic direction, bringing the JCC East Bay’s vision to life. Work in close collaboration with senior leadership to equip the staff for the next phase of growth.
- Embody the core values and principles of the JCC East Bay in management and retention of key talent, and steward the growth and development of the team. As relevant, recruit additional executive talent to complement the existing team.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors throughout the strategy creation and fundraising campaign phases.
- Build and deepen partnerships with community organizations, funders, and others in support of the JCC East Bay’s mission.
- Maintain an appropriate degree of oversight and contributions to existing program development; empower and collaborate with program leadership to seize opportunities for innovation and experimentation, in response to changing demographics of the East Bay.
- Work collaboratively with the CFO and COO to monitor the JCC East Bay’s financial health and long term sustainability, and direct the multi-year budget planning process in support of the organization’s strategic vision.
- In partnership with executive leadership, oversee the JCC East Bay’s marketing and communication strategy and champion the organization’s brand reputation and organizational credibility.
- Build upon existing positive internal culture and drive organizational excellence.
Relationship Building, Fundraising & Profile Enhancement
- Act as the chief storyteller of the JCC East Bay, raising the organization’s profile within the community and among key stakeholders.
- In partnership with Board and executive team, design, prepare for, and implement a major fundraising/capital campaign built upon a broadly supported vision of the JCC East Bay’s future as an accessible home to advance, nurture, and evolve Jewish communal life and contribute to the vitality of the broader community. Specifically, lead the cultivation of major donors to the JCC East Bay, in collaboration with the JCC East Bay’s development team and Board members.
- Build, deepen, and enhance relationships with a diverse and growing population of JCC East Bay supporters, including clients, funders, local influencers, and beyond.
Commitment to the Mission & Values of JCC East Bay
- Embody a deep commitment to the families and individuals served by the community center.
- Demonstrate a strong alignment with the values of the JCC East Bay: Collaborative, Contemporary, Diverse, Flexible, Intergenerational, and Welcoming.
- 7+ years of executive-level experience at multi-service organization of a similar scale
- Compelling storyteller with experience in designing and leading a major fundraising or capital campaign
- Demonstrated success in building relationships and soliciting contributions from high net worth donors
- Experience in program management and strategy, deep understanding of determining product-market fit for program offerings
- Experience serving as the primary, external face of an organization and overseeing organizational communications and marketing
- Experience developing and shaping organizational strategy in a community oriented environment
- Ability to shape and implement tactical goals in support of organizational strategy
- Proven leadership through organizational change; ability to bring strategy and vision to life through manageable, practicable tactics, ensuring the largest degree of buy-in and support possible
- Seasoned Board development skills, demonstrated ability to skillfully manage relationships with the Board
- Fluent around the Jewish landscape and culture (holiday celebrations, types of religious observance, kosher diet and foods, etc)
- Conversant with contemporary Israel, and in particular, sensitive to the diversity of social, political, and religious views held within the community in this context
- Reasonably familiar with basic security and safety dynamics, and able to manage calmly in the event of an emergent situation
- Deep dedication to community and civic engagement, coupled with a nimble and innovative approach to such work
The JCC East Bay is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, veteran status, medical condition, mental or physical disability which would not prevent the performance of essential job duties with reasonable accommodation.
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position. Please do not contact the JCC East Bay directly; Schaffer&Combs has been retained by the JCC East Bay to manage this search. Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, solves problems and provides growth solutions for purpose driven organizations. For questions, contact JCCEB@schaffercombs.com.