Schaffer&Combs (“S&C”) is a a fast-growing search and strategy consultancy dedicated to the purpose driven sector. Headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Los Angeles, California, and Durham, North Carolina, S&C serves as the strategic thought partner for some of the most ambitious change-making organizations in the world. Our clients range from nonprofit organizations, for-profit companies, philanthropies, foundations, industry associations, and government agencies, based locally in the Bay Area and globally across four continents. S&C is an award-winning certified B Corporation, and is proud to use business as a force for good.
As a Schaffer&Combs Fellow, your time will be split between client-facing projects and working with the S&C Operations Team to help the firm improve its internal processes. Working as a member of a project team, you will support project management and perform data-driven analysis to develop insightful recommendations and draft and refine client-facing deliverables. Fellows take on significant responsibility in project teams and have the opportunity to attend and contribute to client-facing meetings. Having direct contact with the client is a highlight and key growth opportunity for Fellows. Equally as crucial is Fellows’ assistance with internal initiatives, including drafting proposals, supporting business development efforts, and helping with office administration.
Schaffer&Combs Fellows are high achievers with entrepreneurial spirits, who have demonstrated both academic and workplace excellence, in fields related to S&C’s work. The Fellowship is a unique opportunity for early-career professionals to enter the niche sector that is purpose-driven consulting.
Scope of Fellowship:
Client Support (50-70%)
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Gather data through interviews and secondary research
- Coordinate high-intensity outreach campaigns across multiple executive search engagements
- Generate creative, action-oriented insights and recommendations
- Support joint problem-solving with clients
- Draft high-impact presentations and plans
- Assist with project management including scheduling, follow-up, and meeting preparation
- Prepare for and participate in client calls/meetings, stakeholder interviews, etc.
Operations & Internal Activities (30-50%)
- Work with the S&C Operations Team with ongoing support, and to increase efficiency of functions and processes at Schaffer&Combs
- Assist with ongoing internal initiatives and firm-wide meetings, including: scheduling, taking minutes, physical and digital filing
- Assist with the invoicing process and bank deposits
- Business development work, including: assisting the management team with prospect research, scheduling of meetings, and tracking of outgoing communication to client prospects
- Support in the management of S&C social media and external communications
- Contribute to development of S&C through personal skills and interests - i.e., brand and communications, operations, business development, etc.
- 1-4 years of professional experience in a role requiring analytical problem solving
- Solutions-oriented problem solver with a startup mentality and ability to shift between liaising with clients to managing internal initiatives while maintaining excellence across all responsibilities
- Passion for the social sector and commitment to working on challenging problems
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Google Drive products
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal, oral, and written communication
- Strong organizational, project and time management skills with demonstrated attention to detail
- Self-starter who is comfortable in a close-knit team-oriented setting
- Accountable, detail-oriented, team player who displays transparency, professionalism, and humility
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- Work directly with the S&C team, which include various levels of experience, backgrounds, and roles
- Opportunity to pursue projects and clients that are of particular interest to each Fellow
- Exposure to a broad variety of social change sectors, models, entities, and leaders
- Professional development workshops led by Executive Team, Directors, Managers and Associates
- Flexible work schedule with office hours at the WeWork California Street location in San Francisco’s Financial District (and access to membership benefits during fellowship)
- Access to future full-time opportunities with Schaffer&Combs or its clients
- 30-40 hours per week, paid Fellowship
- Rolling application and start-date; please apply as soon as possible
- Location of Fellowship: San Francisco, CA
- Duration of Fellowship: 3 months
- Please have your own laptop to use for the duration of the Fellowship