Schaffer&Combs (“S&C”) supports the growth of purpose-driven organizations with strategic services. Headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Durham, North Carolina, and Los Angeles, California, our agile, high impact consultancy works intelligently and diligently to deliver time-sensitive, ultra-tailored solutions to our clients on the national and global stage. Our clients are nonprofit organizations, for-profit companies, philanthropies, foundations, industry associations, and government agencies, based locally in the Bay Area and globally across four continents. Some of our key services include: strategic planning, executive search, organizational design, implementation and tactical execution, and impact management. A 2016 and 2017 “Best for the World” honoree, S&C is a certified B Corporation, and is proud to use business as a force for good.
As a Schaffer&Combs Fellow, your time will be split between client-facing projects and working with the S&C Operations Team to help the firm improve its internal processes. Working as a member of a project team, you will support project management and perform data-driven analysis to develop insightful recommendations and draft and refine client-facing deliverables. Fellows take on significant responsibility in project teams and have the opportunity to attend and contribute to client-facing meetings. Having direct contact with the client is a highlight and key growth opportunity for Fellows. Equally as crucial is Fellows’ assistance with internal initiatives, including drafting proposals, supporting business development efforts, and helping with office administration.
Schaffer&Combs Fellows are high achievers with entrepreneurial spirits, who have demonstrated both academic and workplace excellence, in fields related to S&C’s work. The Fellowship is a unique opportunity for early-career professionals to enter the niche sector that is purpose-driven consulting.
Scope of Fellowship:
Client Support (50-70%)
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Gather data through interviews and secondary research
- Coordinate high-intensity outreach campaigns across multiple executive search engagements
- Generate creative, action-oriented insights and recommendations
- Support joint problem-solving with clients
- Draft high-impact presentations and plans
- Assist with project management including scheduling, follow-up, and meeting preparation
- Prepare for and participate in client calls/meetings, stakeholder interviews, etc.
Operations & Internal Activities (30-50%)
- Work with the S&C Operations Team with ongoing support, and to increase efficiency of functions and processes at Schaffer&Combs
- Assist with ongoing internal initiatives and firm-wide meetings, including: scheduling, taking minutes, physical and digital filing
- Assist with the invoicing process and bank deposits
- Business development work, including: assisting the management team with prospect research, scheduling of meetings, and tracking of outgoing communication to client prospects
- Support in the management of S&C social media and external communications
- Contribute to development of S&C through personal skills and interests - i.e., brand and communications, operations, business development, etc.
- 1-4 years of professional experience in a role requiring analytical problem solving
- Solutions-oriented problem solver with a startup mentality and ability to shift between liaising with clients to managing internal initiatives while maintaining excellence across all responsibilities
- Passion for the social sector and commitment to working on challenging problems
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Google Drive products
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal, oral, and written communication
- Strong organizational, project and time management skills with demonstrated attention to detail
- Self-starter who is comfortable in a close-knit team-oriented setting
- Accountable, detail-oriented, team player who displays transparency, professionalism, and humility
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- Work directly with the S&C team, which include various levels of experience, backgrounds, and roles
- Opportunity to pursue projects and clients that are of particular interest to each Fellow
- Exposure to a broad variety of social change sectors, models, entities, and leaders
- Professional development workshops led by Executive Team, Directors, Managers and Associates
- Flexible work schedule with office hours at the WeWork California Street location in San Francisco’s Financial District (and access to membership benefits during fellowship)
- Access to future full-time opportunities with Schaffer&Combs or its clients
- 30-40 hours per week, paid Fellowship
- Rolling application and start-date; please apply as soon as possible
- Location of Fellowship: San Francisco, CA
- Duration of Fellowship: 3 months
- Please have your own laptop to use for the duration of the Fellowship